Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Nov 16 05:21:53 EST 2007

Le 16 nov. 07 à 00:29, Suresh Ramasubramanian a écrit :

> Meryem Marzouki [15/11/07 19:14 +0100]:
>>> Stick to the existing root server model? Definitely, yes.
>>
>> Not necessarily.
>
> Sincerely, I fail to see how or where altering the current root server
> structure is going to help with improving and/or modifying gTLD and
> ccTLD
> governance processes, creation of additional TLDs etc.

The point is that I don't see any other workable way to de(-)
construct the "one root, one ICANN (, one government)" rethoric --
and actual situation.
Frankly, I fail to see how a "better", while still unique, ICANN can
be achieved.
The key is in decentralization: many roots, many "ICANNs", many
governements and non-governement entities, each root being sovereign
in defining its own policies (TLD creation, rules related to content,
property, dispute resolution, etc.: one can list here all the
problems seen with ICANN till now and for the decades to come), while
ensuring at global governance level consistency and neutrality in
resolving and routing.

In current situation, the whole system is working good from a
technical point of view. The change may not improve it, but it wont
make it worse.
But from the policy side, it can certainly not be worse from a
general interest point of view.
So, the only obstacles to try decentralization - or, as a start, to
discuss it - are the strong lobbies of those defending their
privileges on the one hand and inertia on the other hand. None is
negligible. Inertia is really hard to fight. But the idea of
decentralizing different roots, sovereign in defining their internal
policies, may find many strong allies.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org