[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Nov 13 04:01:18 EST 2007

> The statement "There are no common carrier obligations for email
> traffic" sounds like a pretty much indefensible position to me.  Among

It is a simple statement of fact, Norbert. And it is backed by enough
rulings and laws behind it that allow ISPs to make good faith filtering
efforts.

> all the internet users whose email is in some way subject to automated
> spam-filtering, almost everyone is *not* making all relevant decisions
> *themselves*.

ISPs rely on their users for input, in the form of this is spam / this is
not spam buttons.

The "end to end" principle simply does not apply or exist here, unless you
claim that everybody with an email address is root / admin on his own
server, and runs his own email.

> Economically, it's the exact same kind of issue as with phone calls
> and phone companies.  As an end user of the telephony system, I have

That is a obviously false analogy if you take time to think about it.

> I don't object to email filtering in ways which are guaranteed to only
> affect forged email (as determined e.g. by the DomainKeys system) and

Do me a favor. Please study this a bit better. And study all the use cases
where path and sender authentication systems *can* fail (I just spent
multiple days discussing this elsewhere, so I am kind of amused at this
naïvetë - though it does make for a change from poisonous propaganda).

As for totally foolproof spam filtering systems - I am afraid they don't
exist. And so you have good faith filtering efforts, backed by responsible
filtering practices at most of the large ISPs, developing of best practices
for spam filtering etc - look at the documents published on www.maawg.org
for more.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org