[governance] Re: Has the technical community failed wrt IPv6' .... Governance Frameworks for Critical Internet Resources'

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Fri Nov 9 05:34:07 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 07:00:31AM +1100,
 Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote
 a message of 239 lines which said:

> The world has changed since then and it's just possible that a more
> creative way of expanding the number pool might be available to us
> now that wasn't thought about then.

You're welcome to explain it to us. Congratulations for thinking of a
solution that noone at the IETF was able to find in the last twenty
years.

> If we think through a decent mitigation strategy there are a number of
> things that can be done to ensure that doesn't happen for another 20 years
> or more.

I also welcome an explanation of this clever strategy. Do not hesitate
to martyrize your keyboard to document it.

> The last great hope seems to be that when the last number runs out
> someone (probably in an underdeveloped country) will scream and we
> will all change.

I agree with you. The people who have a lot of IPv4 addresses (and
therefore do not fear the coming crisis) have the power and the people
who are already experiencing the scarcity do not have the power. So,
indeed, as you write, nobody will care when a new user in Africa will
ask for IPv4 addresses and be denied.

IPv6 was never deployed because, while the *global* cost of
workarounds (such as NAT) is enormous, the *individual* cost of
migrating to IPv6 is high. So, each actor takes a decision which is
reasonable for him, but very costly for the community (like in the
famous Prisoner's Dilemna). Before all, the non-deployment of IPv6 is
a clear failure of the marker. As long as there is no collective
action, only an addition of individual actions, big changes like IPv6
will not occur.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org