[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Nov 30 22:14:29 EST 2007

Ian Peter wrote:

> Nice concept Suresh, but at Rio a number of govt reps complained at the
> almost total lack of international co-operation in this area and the
> ineffectiveness of current efforts because there is no way to get
> cross-boundary co-operation currently.

It depends on which part of the government you are asking. Telecom /
Internet regulators, consumer protection / competition authorities, law
enforcement etc do cooperate. But the stakeholder silo effect comes into
play - quite a lot of these different "groups" of government reps have their
own channels of cooperation, and may not be aware of others that exist.

However, the silver lining is that what you describe - broad based - IS
being done at various levels. And quite a few of the stakeholders actually
involved are perfectly aware of each other.

Did you attend the stopspamalliance dynamic coalition at Rio (or at Athens)
by any chance?  You would have met quite a few of the key players there.

http://www.stopspamalliance.org - and its member organizations (ITU, OECD,
APECTEL, London Action Plan, MAAWG, CAUCE/APCAUCE ..) are intl orgs,
public/private groups like LAP, ISP associations like MAAWG, civil society
antispam like CAUCE and APCAUCE..)

The focus is "spam" - though most of them do have a rather broader interest
in cybercrime because whether or not "telecom" convergence has been
achieved, spammers, botherders and other online criminals have certainly
converged, and have done so years back.  What's more, they are cooperating
to the sort of extent the "good guys" in this fight can possibly just dream
about.

> That's a structural problem IMHO. And one not likely to be solved
> solely by governments co-operating among themselves. In addition technical
> co-operation is necessary as they readily admit - that takes two forms

We *are* actually on the same page here e&oe details, believe it or not.
Could you go back to my last email and read that background paper I wrote,
please?

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org