[governance] RE: [WSIS CS-Plenary] CSTD up date 4

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu May 24 17:28:48 EDT 2007

Hi All

 I am enclosing two submission made by IT for Change in the CSTD process,
One on 22nd, and excerpts from it read our yesterday, and the other one
today. I think the CSTD (unexpectedly) in moving towards directions which
are quite satisfactory from our point of view.. There seems to be a good
amount of agreement on making a resolution towards putting together good
reporting structures / interface of the commission with agencies in charge
of action lines and themes. I think it is a very important development
towards having an anchoring political structure, however imperfect, for the
emerging information society, about which I do not tire of repeating, there
will be need for much more effective, extensive, and politically legitimate,
governance. I am not saying the cstd is the perfect model for it, but it
creates an anchor point.

On the contentious theme whether the commission will take note of an absence
of any reference to 'enhanced cooperation' in the secy general's report to
the commission, I think there will be some mention in the resolution of
that.  There will also be some reference to earlier ecosoc resolutions
regarding multi-stakeholder participation, though the exact nature of these
references is not clear..

We, meaning CS, were today allowed to speak briefly in even the small
drafting group, and Philippe earlier participated in the CSTD bureau
meeting. We were also able to intervene in the middle of the discussions at
the plenary session by raising our hand. more later.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890