[governance] How is this operationalised in the US?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun May 6 01:10:06 EDT 2007

On 5/5/07, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Riaz
>
> > The Treasury states that "except for information or informational
> > materials and donated articles intended to relieve human suffering, such
> > as food, clothing and medicine, and the licensed export of agricultural
> > commodities. no goods, technology, or services may be exported from the
> > United States to Sudan".
> >

> Wonder if it means that, legally, ICANN cant export its services to
> Sudan....

It might, if ICANN "exported services", but since they don't, it's moot.

>the US Treasury has apparently banned
> > access to images from Google Earth in Sudan as part of its ongoing
> > export controls and economic sanctions against the country.
>

> Google is now almost as universal and monopolistic an element of
> Internet's
> architecture as ICANN.

Google provides services that run on the architecture, it's not the
architecture itself.

Its control by US government is a matter of great
> concern. The problem is that other countries can only control/ regulate
> google at and within their digital gates (as china does), i.e. if they can
> afford good gates, but US can do it for other countries as well.

and fair play to them.  Are you suggesting that the Internet trumps
sovereignty?

And here we are still arguing whether there is any need at all for globally
> acceptable Internet policies...

No, we are arguing about what is subject to those policies.  There are
already global policies in place, and processes to determine same.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim