[governance] Programme outline and schedule released

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Tue May 1 18:26:37 EDT 2007

Carlos,

I take as the overall objective of whatever the IGF does as focusing
on issues relating to Internet governance, defined in the broad
sense, to serve the purpose of economic and social development.
Clearly there are multiple dimensions of IG, and reasonable people
may differ in their assessment regarding how important the issues in
each dimension are to accomplish that goal.

Within that scope, I could argue that each of the subparagraphs of
para. 72 has the capability of meeting a set of overall long term
goals.  However, I think that for most of  the subparagraphs below, I
could imagine activities that are believed (by someone) to be
consistent with the Tunis agenda, but that I believe would not meet
those goals and would be counterproductive.

The problem with the Tunis agenda as a guide is that it can be read
in different ways by different people, very much like complex
religious documents such as the Bible.  Now para. 72 prescribes the
initiation of actions or activities.  Rather than trying to define
activities as good or relevant, or alternatively bad or irrelevant, i
would like to focus on goals, and for each activity, ask whether it
produces good or bad results with respect to those goals.  This
reflects my consequentialist leanings in which the concepts of good
and bad are the major focus rather than the concepts of right or
wrong.  An action is 'right' if its consequences are good, and
vice-versa.

So while I do not dismiss para. 72, I would argue that the
interpretation and implementation of the specific activities chosen
under each of its sub-paragraphs does need to be subjected to a test
of whether it meets overall development goals which the IGF was
established to promote.  Each of those sub-paragraphs can give rise
to activities that I believe would be consistent with and supportive
of those goals.  Likewise each can give rise to activities that are
inconsistent with or destructive with respect to those goals.

Opinions will clearly differ on these points.

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org