[governance] IGC sponsored IGF workshops

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Thu Jun 21 06:14:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 6/20/07 11:30 PM, "Meryem Marzouki" <marzouki at ras.eu.org> wrote:

> It's rather about approaching the secretariat to co-sponsor this
> workshop with IGC, as it would be the solution to the - suspected -

Since time is growing short, I took the quick route and had a chat with
Markus.  Various points:

*As expected, the secretariat would not be in a position to co-sponsor a
workshop.

*At present, he's received very few proposals.  Last year they all came in
right around the deadline and he expects the same this time.  Per the
clearing house suggestions, it would be helpful to know who here is going to
submit something, no?

*The co-sponsorship requirement is probably only is an issue if there are
more proposals than there are meeting spaces.  Unless there's a problem
accommodating everyone, it should be sufficient to simply affirm that the
panel and dialogue will be MS.

*The IGC is a 'recognized entity' in the collective mind of the mAG, and as
such they'd be no mystery about who we are or our ability/intention to
organize something.  As such, it's probably not imperative to have MS
co-sponsorship of a proposal as long as we make clear that the panel will
be.  One way to do that would be to propose an illustrative/tentative list
of speakers.  For example, it might make sense to reach out to some of the
government, IO, and industry people who were part of the WGIG discussion of
the mandate; after all, they will recall the group understanding of the
words that became TA 72, so we don't have to start with a Talmudic
interpretive exercise, and could as a take off point reflect on what was
intended, what we have now, the similarities and differences between the
two, and go from there.  Just a thought.

*In the probably unlikely event that the mAG rejected our proposal, we would
always have the option of organizing a "related event."  There are rooms for
this.  The problem would be the framing and publicity.  In Athens, "related
events" were not shown on the main program
www.intgovforum.org/wksshop_program3.htm.  I asked several times that
GigaNet's symposium be listed and linked off this page and got nowhere.  I
was never clear whether this was due to an oversight or they just didn't
know how to display events that were not formally part of the program, but
Markus acknowledged this was a problem and I gather an effort may be made
this time to display such events, at least open ones (many orgs are asking
for rooms for closed events).  However, he thought it would be problematic
to lists something on the program like, "IGC open meeting on the IGF
mandate," inter alia as someone might view this as an effort to go around
the approved workshop structure.  More likely it would just say "IGC
meeting."  But we could advertise it with flyers left on tables etc.

In short, there's no reason not to go forward with a proposal, if need be as
IGC only (although some outreach for possible cosponsors wouldn't hurt), and
even if it's rejected, we could still have the conversation anyway.

As Adam notes, we've already agreed a text as part of our main theme
suggestions, it would not require much amplification to clarify what we
intend to do.  And the suggestion's been made repeatedly that if this wasn't
accepted for the main sessions, as it wasn't, we ought to do a workshop, and
nobody's argued against that.  So do we need to spend days waiting to
reaffirm that we want to do what we said we want to do, or can we just go
ahead and do it?  Filling out the form
http://intgovforum.org/workshops/instructions.php will not take long, we
just need some initial guesses about the answers to #5, below.

Bill

Template for submitting proposals

1. Provide a concise formulation for the proposed workshop theme.
2. Provide the Name of the Organizer(s) of the workshop and their
Affiliation to various stakeholder
groups. Describe how you will take steps to adhere to the multi-stakeholder
principle, including geographical diversity.
3. Why do you think the proposed theme is important?
4. Describe the workshop¹s conformity with the Tunis Agenda in terms of
substance and the mandate of the IGF.
5. Provide the Name and Affiliation of the panellists you are planning to
invite.
6. Describe the main actors in the field. Have you approached them and asked
whether they would be willing to participate in proposed workshop?
7.  List similar events you have organized in the past.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org