[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 10 05:38:21 EDT 2007

> Actually I wasn't blaming Guru. I was responding to Parminder who, if I

> understood him correctly, said that I he found it justified to break the

> Chatham house rule.

> jeanette

Jeanette, if you read my email again you can see that I never said that.

I quote my email in full.

> Lee

> Think, you addressed your email below to me by mistake. I didn't post the

> IGF emails, Guru did :)

> Well, I, like Guru, have had access to these emails for a few days now,

> since they have been discussed in some e-groups.  But I wasn't sure what

> do with them because I know there are people who hurry to a 'conspiracy

> against ICANN' kind of alarm very easily (even when other disclosures of

> official docs like the Condeleezza Rice's letter to European governments

> on

> WSIS stand vis a vis IG are considered important in public interest. See

> http://i-policy.typepad.com/informationpolicy/2005/12/read_the_letter.html

> ). And as IGC co-coordinator even informal rules of closed interactions

> seemed more important than they need to against imperatives of public

> interest disclosures, which in the present case I think are

> overwhelming...

> Looks like Guru thought it necessary to come in, in reference to 'ICANN

> threats' in Willie's and Bill's emails and share these mails in this list.

> Parminder

I was explaining, how though I had access to the email exchange, I myself
took time wondering what to do about them, since with the burden of the
official position of co-coordinator-ship, rules probably seemed more
important they owed to. I know I am not bond by chatham house rules, I was
only a little worried how many people in the IGC close to the IGF will see
this disclosure (though I was very clear that disclosure should be made in
public interest, and that these people who knew it before we others did,
perhaps, should themselves have shared the information with us, even if
under chatham house rules). A couple of responses now have borne out my
fears, and it really bothers me how we in IGC see public accountability,
transparency etc. We, who are supposed to be representing a CS constituency.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890