[governance] Coordinators' call on the statement for Feb 13

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue Feb 13 08:59:18 EST 2007

Vittorio and Parminder,

Many thanks for the great effort to induce the consensus.
While it may not be the perfect outcome, it still is far better
than not reaching the rough consensus, I would say.

As this is the first time for the new coordinators, I think you
now have found some challenges as all the predecessors faced.

We will collectively learn good lessons to carry forward.

It's a pitty that I could not join f2f in Geneva, but remain
engaged.

izumi

2007/2/13, Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu>:

> All,
>
> Parminder and I have consulted and have come to a final call on the
> matter of our statement for tomorrow:
>
> 1) There is sufficient support for us to make the statement (as it was
> put forward for the consensus call).
>
> Given that this is the first time, and it was a learning process for us
> all, I hope that everyone understood that a "consensus call" is not a
> call for further amendments, but a straw poll to understand whether the
> work as it stands is sufficiently satisfying to everyone to be released
> as a group product. In this respect, we saw just one person asking for
> further significant edits before giving support, while most others
> seemed to support it in the general sense, and so our call is that there
> is rough consensus.
>
> This does not mean that the changes that were proposed in these 48 hours
> were not good - personally, I found many of them quite agreeable - but
> we considered that by incorporating them at this point in time, we would
> be making our own process moot. So we decided to stick with the process.
> Perhaps, for the next time, we will try to have more time for the
> discussion and one more round of editing, but, on the other hand, it's
> well recognized that we all are busy and tend to mobilize only when very
> near to deadlines :)
>
> However, I think that this still leaves me the freedom to do
> non-substantial changes such as refining the English, so I'll do that if
> I can.
>
> 2) There is not enough consensus to add the extra text on ICANN.
>
> In the end, given the reactions (averagely positive, but with strong
> objections as well), we decided that it would be better to keep the
> existing language on such a sensitive matter. This does not prevent all
> those who spoke strongly in favour or strongly against from doing so
> tomorrow in their own (or their organizations') capacity.
>
> Regards,
> --
> vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
> -------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------