[governance] CONSENSUS CALL - Statement for the IGF consultations

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Sat Feb 10 19:03:13 EST 2007

Hi Vittorio,

thank you for drafting the statement.

Personally I think it is too epic, I prefer short and concise
statements. If we keep it short, chances are better that people read it.

I am also not happy with the order of the points made in the statement.
For me, one of the crucial points is that the IGF takes seriously all
parts of the mandate. In the draft statement, this issue is mentioned
only towards the bottom of page two. Im my view, this makes this issue
look less important than, for example the lunch break you mention on the
first page.

Some things I find unclear. For example, what do you mean by "more
traditional plenary sessions"? Did we ever discuss this here? Without
knowing what you mean by this, I cannot support it.

I also don't know how you want to integrate the workshops with the main
sessions of the IGF. After all, workshops were suggested bottom up, not
top down.

The secretariat tried to merge workshops, not always successfully. One
cannot really force organizers to merge or to implement the
multi-stakeholder principles, can one?

The sentence about funding I find a bit preposterous. Could we please
delete it? (Trying to secure funding was one of the main activities of
the secretariat. They must think we are kidding...)

I would also suggest to delete the language about "narrow Internet
Governance" as a topic for IGF. As far as I can see, there is no message
in it.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org