[governance] ITU participation by CS (was: IG questions ...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Dec 14 03:51:25 EST 2007

Dan Krimm <dan at musicunbound.com> wrote:

> As a politico in the techie/politico conversation (thought not exactly a
> "diplomat" -- I'm of course an advocate), I must insist on realism when
> evaluating political dynamics.  While I am optimistic that with sufficient
> attention we can push back effectively at "the wrong thing" it would be
> dangerous to think that "the right thing" will emerge of its own accord
> without the application of explicit political force (mostly by CS).  We
> must keep our eyes on the prize, or else someone else will surely take it
> from us while we're not looking.

Yes, indeed.

And we must not overlook the reality that the "IP" lobby and other
industry lobbies that we're up against are very savvy with regard
to tactics like forum-shopping.

I'm getting more and more convinced that in addition to pushing
back in whatever fora the industry lobby driven action moves to, we
need to work independently of all that on establishing a credible
genuinely democratic forum in the form of an international internet
users parliament, even if that will initially have no authority
besides the moral authority of making statements which are genuinely
democratically legitimized.  The main problem with this idea is
funding.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--