[governance] Re: ccTLDs and developing countries

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Aug 6 11:20:43 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 02:03:41PM +0100,
 kwasi boakye-akyeampong <kboakye1 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote
 a message of 152 lines which said:

> in March 2002, ICANN held a general meeting in Accra but the IT
> community in Ghana was not even aware something that crucial was
> happening in their back yard.

Come on, ICANN meetings are not "something that crucial". The
management of the local ccTLD is certainly more important.

>   The ghnic (www.nic.gh) website has not been updated for
>   years. They don't respond to e-mail enquiries. NCS, the company
>   who owns ghana.com claims to be managing the .gh but would not
>   respond to e-mail enquiries (matter of fact, I don't know the
>   difference between ghana.com and ghnic).

Also, the DNS setup of ".gh" is heavily broken (two of the only three
name servers are lame).

This sort of derelection of ccTLD is common in Africa, unfortunately.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org