[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Apr 15 16:58:11 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Wolfgang Kleinwächter
[mailto:wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de]
Sent: 16 April 2007 02:21
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org; Ian Peter; governance at lists.cpsr.org;
Parminder; Vittorio Bertola
Subject: AW: [governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Ian Peter

If IGF and the CS component are to be useful we need to begin looking past
existing structures and reacting to their every move and towards the
creation of structures that fill both the gaps and the areas where ICANN
cannot work effectively.

Wolfgang:
This is exactly my point. We have to invent something which is new, which
goes beyond the "either intergovernmental organisation or private sector
organisation". ICANN has made a step in the right direction by trying to be
multistakeholder  (with all the the restrictions and deficiencies we have
experienced since 1998). ........

Bertrand like me have always raise 2010 as the next checkpoint. JPA
terminates 2009, ITU has its next PP in 2010. IGF mandate ends 2010. And
some circles are planning something like a WSIS III (a ministerial ECOSOC
meeting) in 2010. With other words, we have to start now to produce
something which could be useful in three years from today.

Ian Peter again:

And it would probably take three years before people accepted any new
proposal and the necessary stakeholder acceptance was obtained to give a new
body momentum.

So, how to get there? I often do structural analysis and structural
proposals for organizations - what I know is that a lot of discussion is
needed with a variety of stakeholders - but also a structured approach and
the use of appropriate methodologies for analyzing needs and recommending
suitable structures to meet those needs.

I don’t see much happening without some funding for a bit of independent
expert full time commitment here to production of a set of recommendations
in this area. But in the mean time discussion is good and some growing
realization of the necessity for new structures will help!

The alternative is of course continuance of the present structure, with its
expansion into new areas as they emerge. That will give us

* more potential grounds for interference by a single government
* more turgid and protracted policy discussions of the whois type
* more confused structure and deals of the ICANN/Verisign type

Ian Peter

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
12:48