[governance] Where are we going?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Apr 13 04:25:41 EDT 2007

>>> http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/SwissInternetUserGroup.txt

>> Take a look at "Platform for Internet Content Selection (PICS)" at
>> http://www.w3.org/PICS/
>
> Did you read what I wrote?  I'm talking about a _certification_
> process, which verifies e.g. accessibility for people with
> disabilities, where after successful certification sites get the
> right to use a certification mark called "Internet Quality Label"
> or whatever.

I did read the first document, but, being mainly a techie, I tended to
focus on the "how is this done" parts rather than "why is this being
done" parts.  Sorry if our minds didn't meet - such is the grief of
electronic discussions.

There is an interesting sidelight to this, however, which is this: Is
labeling http/web content a matter of internet governance?  Or should
internet governance be limited to making it possible for people to label
http/web content.

It's not that I'm unsympathetic.  For the last year I've had need to
carry around a card bearing a symbol, a symbol whose use is limited by
law, that indicates a certain class of disability.

So it's not that I'm in opposition, but rather that I really wonder how
far from a technical foundation a matter of internet governance can go
before it needs to drop the "internet" adjective?

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org