[governance] Purposes of DNS (Was: Where are we going?)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Apr 6 13:46:34 EDT 2007

Mawaki Chango wrote:

> Imagine an intenret without DNS... and we were only to use IP
> numbers to navigate the Web.

DNS was established not merely to add a mnemonic or semantic layering
over numbers.

In computer science there is an old phrase - every problem can be solved
by adding another level of indirection.

DNS is such a layer of indirection.  We gain a lot through DNS with
regard to establishing service names that can be remapped through DNS
without affecting the application uttering those names.

And DNS provides a one-to-many mapping through which a single name may
represent several service points.  This is very useful and not possible
through an address based system.

Not all DNS names contain strings that are easily parsed by people.
in-addr.arpa names look like sequences of numbes, IDN's will be opaque
to most human eyes, ENUM names don't resonate with any emotional power,
and (blame me, RFC1001/1002) the DNS name used inside CIFS are bit
shuffled into incomprehensibility, etc.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org