[governance] IGF: Another type of workshops?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Sep 4 05:18:23 EDT 2006

Hello,

I was thinking a little on the matter of workshops and specifically of a
couple of points that I already posted in a previous message:

1) There are workshop proposals that are interesting but imbalanced (ie
the proposers are not a multistakeholder group, the proposed
presentation only covers some of the points of view, etc.)

2) There are issues that are hot and everyone would expect them to see
discussed, but no workshop proposals were made on them - the two
examples I made were net neutrality (if I didn't miss anything) and
trusted computing.

One possible solution that I imagine is to create a different type of
event, an "open room event" where one of the free workshop slots (or
even half of it, this could be a shorter event) is allocated to one of
the missing or not-fully-covered issues, one moderator is appointed to
introduce the matter and manage the event, and then you have a free
discussion from the floor. This could be a sort of "top-down" event
scheduled by the AG to fill the gaps, in cooperation with people that
volunteer (or are kindly asked) to be the moderator. It could be useful
to expand the coverage of the IGF in terms of issues, and avoid the
problem of having to accept incomplete proposals not to leave the matter
uncovered.

What do you think? I guess that the AG could discuss this idea at the
forthcoming meeting.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org