[governance] IGC's questions to the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Oct 24 03:44:02 EDT 2006

Parminder wrote:
>> Parminder's questions hit the key points that have been
>> raised but arguably
>> are a bit longer (two pages) and more analytical than is
>> desirable in a
>> floor intervention; if we can prune a little and figure out
>> how to determine
>> rough consensus in the next couple of days, that'd be great.
>
> Bill, Since there is less than a week to the IGF, it will be good if someone
> (you??) took a go at the points to put them in a more presentable form...

Here is my attempt, based loosely on Parminder's draft but shortened and
simplified and rephrased in the form of a petition. Comments,
improvements?  I have much less experience in intergovernmental fora
than most of you so Parminder's original may be closer to what is required.

Personally I would ask for more than what this petition calls for, but I
am mindful of the need to foster the broadest possible consensus and I
think in its present form it should be reasonably acceptable to most on
this list.

--- begins ---

TO the Secretary-General of the United Nations
AND TO the Secretariat of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

CONSIDERING the IGF as one of the most important outcomes of the WSIS
process, which promises to be an innovation in the arena of global
governance;

EXPRESSING our strong appreciation for the value that the IGF brings to
global policy arena and for the work of the Secretariat and the Advisory
Group to date;

AND COMMITTED to our to full cooperation with an IGF process that
embodies multilateral, multi-stakeholder, democratic and transparent
principles;

BUT CONCERNED that these principles not be left behind in the
unavoidable haste of all parties to convene and successfully conclude
the IGF's inaugural meeting in Athens;

WE THE UNDERSIGNED hereby call upon the Secretary-General of the United
Nations to request the Secretariat of the Internet Governance Forum to
fulfil its mandate to convene the IGF as a forum for multi-stakeholder
policy dialogue in an open and inclusive process by:

1. AFFIRMING that the IGF as not merely an open space in which free
discussion can take place, but rather a deliberative body whose
legitimacy to occupy this role stems from its special character as a
network of equal stakeholders.

2. FACILITATING the development of structures and processes within the
IGF within which for such deliberation to take place, and thus enabling
the IGF to fulfil its mandate given in paragraph 72 of the Tunis Agenda,
including sub-paragraphs (c), (e), (g) and (k), all of which clearly
bespeak an strong element of agency on the part of the IGF.

3. DEVELOPING in an open and collaborative process a structure of
Working Groups for the IGF around important issues and areas, which
would work on an ongoing basis, through virtual as well as face-to-face
means, and would report and be accountable to the IGF at large.

4. INCREASING the transparency and inclusiveness of IGF processes,
including the release of information about the manner of Advisory Group
selections, their processes and outcomes, and opening these processes to
receive the input of all stakeholders.

5. CONSIDERING the need for provision for the travel expenses of members
from developing counties and other disadvantaged groups wishing to
participate effectively in IGF deliberations, and for ensuring that the
contributions of remote participants are accorded equal weight and
authority as those of participants present in person.

6. INITIATING a process of enhanced cooperation for development of
globally-applicable principles on public policy issues, as called for by
  paragraphs 69, 70 and 71 of the Tunis Agenda, to be conducted within
the framework of the IGF.

Sincerely submitted by the undersigned,

--- ends ---

Amendments, additions, deletions, comments?  I am leaving for Athens on
Thursday so please don't delay providing feedback!  If I don't receive
any in time, I will print out some copies of the draft and take them
with me in case they are of use as-is.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org