[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Oct 21 18:53:19 EDT 2006

Dave, let me beg to disagree on this.

The future is about the appropriate involvement of governments, not less
involvement. Much though a few old timers want to look for the golden age of
an Internet run by technical people, that group had to bow to the
involvement of commercial players, then end users with opinions on future
directions. Both were resisted.  And now to that slowest of all social
institutions, governments.

Government is just waking up to the fact that something important is
happening in this space. It is struggling to understand it.

Make no mistake, they have the power to make an awful mess of this and some
of them already are. That just stresses to me the importance of appropriate
engagement and international arrangements.

No government roles around Internet are yet appropriate, either the US
government engagement or the non engagement of most others. It really is
important to figure this out rather than regard government as the enemy to
be avoided.

Ian Peter
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000