[governance] IGF theme proposal: Equity for critical Internet resources

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 14:58:36 EST 2006

I would like to submit this second theme proposal (my last one for
the current round) that is probably complementary to Milton's theme
for "Enhanced cooperation for coordination and management of critical
Internet resources" both from developing country and business
perspective. My idea is not necessary to have this discussed at the
first IGF meeting, but at least have it in our theme database,
especially that I don't know if we will eventually be proposing 3
themes or more. I also welcome any amendments, just as I see a
possibility, if deemed relevant, to merge this theme with the
"Enhanced cooperation" theme. In other words, you may see this as a
proposal of proposal.
---

1. Transparent and Equitable Management of the Critical Internet
Resources

a. A concise formulation for the proposed theme

How could the Internet critical resources management expand and
increase the usability of the Internet worldwide? How to improve
global participation in the Internet use and management in terms of
geographic distribution and cultural diversity?

b. A brief description of why it is important

Over a decade, Internet has developed to the point to be considered
by many as a universal good, and it still has the potential to
further expand. However, it may not continue doing so, as we know it
today, and improving if there is no sense of ownership by all
stakeholders, especaially those who may impact positevely or
negatively on its development in any quarters of the world. To
develop the network and stimulate innovations at the edges, bring
more users and increase the network externalities to the advantage of
all, the IP addressing and Domain name space need to open up in order
to bring new players from all over the world, and at all levels of
management of those resources. In a nutshell, every measure needs to
be taken to ensure:
- the expansion and diversity of the Domain name space authorizing
new gTLDs and multilingual domain name scripts, in order to cater for
the needs of any group of users that might demonstrate compliance
with the technical stability and financial operation requirements;
- the maximum flexibility for the user to be served in terms of IP
addresses, and of choice of registrar and registry to register with
(between ccTLDs and gTLDs, and among gTLDs);
- fair market entry fee for medium enterprises including private
operators from developing countries, and fair conditions for
competition among businesses from all over the world that may be
interested to enter the Domain name related markets, and more
generally all the markets generated by ICANN regulation and
management activities currently and in the future.

c. How it is in conformity with the Tunis Agenda

Though the Tunis Agenda is not much specific about how to manage
Internet critical resources in a more equitable way, there are a few
references that show it is a matter of concern.

The paragraph 29 reads: "The international management of the Internet
should be multilateral, transparent and democratic, with the full
involvement of governments, the private sector, civil society and
international Organisations. It should ensure an equitable
distribution of resources."

The paragraph 54 recognises that "value is added at the edges of the
network in both developed and developing countries when the
international and domestic policy environment encourages investment
and innovation." Innovation cannot be stimulated if there is not full
participation, not only at policy and public level, but also at
business level.

Furthermore, the paragraph 70 promotes cooperation that will develop
"globally-applicable principles on public policy issues associated
with the coordination and management of critical Internet resources."
And the policy discussion must also includes economic and business
concerns.

d. How it fits within the mandate of the IGF as detailed in para 72;

72-j)	Discuss, inter alia, issues relating to critical Internet
resources.

e. Who the main actors in the field are, who could be encouraged to
participate in the thematic session

ICANN Board
GNSO (ICANN)
International Organizations: ITU, UNESCO, WTO
Civil society and consumers organizations
Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and ISP Associations
Internet & Telecommunication private operators
Regional Internet Registries (ARIN, APNIC, LACNIC, AFRINIC, RIPE),
etc.

f. Last but not least, why should this issue be addressed in the
first annual meeting of the Forum rather than in subsequent ones?

The Internet is developing fast, IDN protocols are being tested, and
some countries like China are setting up their own root servers. With
the growing dissatisfaction with the current governance arrangements,
the risk is actual that the Internet gets fragmented and unstable. If
nothing is done, as soon as possible, to send a signal that issues of
worldwide participation and the sense of ownership at all levels of
the Internet operation, we may soon have regional and national
Internets more or less interconnected, instead of the common global
one we currently enjoy.

Mawaki