[governance] A process suggestion for IGF nominations

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Wed Mar 22 05:21:07 EST 2006

Hi Avri,

Quick concerns on two of your posts.

So if someone who works in the private sector submits their name and nobody
feels emboldened to ridicule them, they then become representatives of civil
society, a term normally used to refer to those in the nonprofit sector?  I
recognize that despite years of back and forth on this in the WSIS context
(it seems to be less of an issue in other policy spaces like environment,
human rights, etc) we've never reached consensus on whether being CS depends
on one's place in the socio-economic structure (the standard trichotomy) or
on a state of mind (e.g. people with government or business pay checks who
see themselves as public interest advocates), but this would seem like a
rather strange outcome to me.

> i also suggest that if we don't get at least 25 volunteers for the 5
> person nomcom, then the process is aborted, i.e.  we interpret the
> lack of volunteers as a lack of consensus in the process.

This strikes me as setting the bar a little too high.  While there are 300
people on the list, the vast majority probably don't consider themselves to
be in the caucus.  Getting quickly to 25 might be difficult.

These items notwithstanding, I too support the approach you've outlined.

Cheers,

Bill