[governance] [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 2 09:14:32 EST 2006

This is a complex situation.  One thoughtful Western investigation
begins to understand.

http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2006/03/01/new-chinese-tlds

Those inside China, accessing Chinese language sites, are going
directly there it seems, rather than via a lookup outside.  But this
technical arrangement is secondary to the central news:

This society has arranged for access completely in its native
language - fundamental to the wo/man-in-the-street user to whom ASCII
would be a bewilderment.  It has been in progress for some years now,
so that by this stage the user group approaches 100 million - it will
grow much larger in time, since this is also the world's biggest
society.

The real issue, it seems to me, is architectures, going forward.  As
already discussed here, that means coordination, including mutual
recognition (there is even an immediate question, of recognition for
some new TLDs).  That is alongside the flowering of capabilities to
admit onto the net the 5 or so billion so far without the possibility
for access in the language they understand.  Along of course with all
the other requirements for access.  Though here, we see the dawning
of language access.

Native (in the West) news reports, it seems, are pivotal to raise the
Western consciousness, about what has been in place for a few years.
One news report, that has now made wider rounds through syndication:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2006/03/01/china_creates_own_net_domains/

(Any problems with access for non-subscribers, text is available.)

We need a forum to engage these questions - Meryem encourages us to
get beyond the past stalemate.  That will only succeed, I believe, if
we heed the call for adequate engagement by those with technical
savvy - and the rest of us will have to be on a steep learning curve.

David