[governance] [ga] Re: Establishment of the European Regional At-Large Organizaton

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Jan 21 09:54:24 EST 2006

Danny Younger ha scritto:
> Vittorio,
>
> This European Regional At-Large Organization that you
> are building needs a better name... perhaps you can
> call it EU ISOC & Friends as it is completely captured
> by ISOC (with seven out of its eight structures being
> ISOC chapters).

The funny thing is that, more or less at the same time, I've received a
message from an officer of an ISOC chapter, saying "why is ICANN doing
this - we don't need the At Large, it should be the European council of
ISOC chapters to do this".

The truth is that we are trying to create an open mechanism where
everyone - ISOC chapters, other organizations, and individuals - can
participate. If only certain kinds of organizations use it, then of
course they will dominate the mechanism; but, once the gates are open,
the fault of this only lies with those who don't bother to participate.