[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Mon Dec 4 13:59:15 EST 2006

Hi,

> We need a new global governance regime and in entering into it we must
> as a principle be deeply aware of the fact that the Internet's growth
> and much of its value came from the fact that govts had no regulation or
> control over how it initially evolved.

This was definitely true for the past. I am not sure its still true for
the present.

I believe that any self governance mechanism must prove that it is able
to produce at least equally good results as an (inter-)governmental
regime. A crucial part of this "equally good" would be reliable rules
and appeals mechanisms. In order to gain the trust and the legitimacy
they need, private governance mechanisms need to develop an equivalent
to the rule of law. I am not sure ICANN takes its own rules seriously
enough to deserve the responsibility it has.

jeanette

  We need to define a proper

     governance at lists.cpsr.org