[governance] Re: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Wed Aug 2 03:08:05 EDT 2006

Patrick Vande Walle wrote:
> Peter Dambier wrote:
>
>>Who needs a centralized root system?
>>Telefone works without centralized root. Every country has its own.
>

> True, but there still is a central authority, the ITU, which assigns
> country code dial numbers.
> Even in the telephone model, there is a coordination to make sure no two
> countries get the same country code (+1 being the notable exception).

The coordination is what is important. Coordination is talking and
listenning. ICANN has shown again and again not to listen. It shows
as a dictator. The UN may show weak but talk and listen they do.
ITU has show they did a good job with radio and telefone. I am shure
they could manage DNS easyly. Of course we need to help them.

>>Now every country can build their own independant root.
>>Everybody can, if he is only willing.
>

> The Internet model is very different from the centralized telephone
> model inherited from the national telcos. Historically, there was one
> telephone provider in each country.
>>From the start of its privatization, the Internet evolved in a
> competitive market, with numerous ISPs, each providing name to address
> resolution to their customers.
> I can imagine authoritarian governments forcing their ISPs to use a
> common root. This is the open door to censorship, because from that
> point on, one can also force the ISPs to not use the authoritative
> servers for TLDs but expurgated ones.

China does, Turkey used to do.

>>Build your own database manually. Update it only manually.
>

> The average ISP installs the default Bind included in the operating
> system on its public recursive DNS servers and runs a cron job once a
> week to update the root hints file. This is basically free from any
> maintenance cost. There should be a strong business or political
> incentive to force them to invest into manually maintaining their own
> root. Don't just discount the laziness factor and the fact that a
> business needs to have a return on any investment in additional resources.

I have seen the ORSC and Public-Root comming down because of a
Baptista Vortex. They copied the rootzone without even looking
at the file size. Both roots collapsed and lost customers
immediately. Interestingly enough I have seen the UnifiedRoot
comming down too because they obviously took Public-Root data
for granted.

I have seen so many DNS problems with ISPs nameservers. They
really do need DNS people. Those people could do the comparing
and building of their own DNS and those people would be there
to fix existing DNS problems that have nothing to do with the
root.

>>you can include the daily changes decided by the TLD owners or
>>countries. ICANN
>>takes years to respect those changes.
>

> This is the whole idea behind the current e-IANA effort to automate the
> RZF updates. It is true that TLD operators would like technical changes
> reflected in the RZF in days rather than weeks.
> That being said, in the current situation, it does not take years, as
> you state.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick Vande Walle

Agreed, they have improved. But I have seen them misusing their
position to blackmail countries. That should not be allowed.

We need coordination but it must be humans who coordinate not
machines. The days of a single point of failure in the master
of are single root system are gone.

If today the master rootserver would fail, only china and turkey
and a handful of people using alternative roots would be able
to exchange emails.

If a corrupt dictator would get control of that single master
he would be able to direct every email send anywhere on the
world through his server. Nobody would even notice.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier