[governance] for those concerned with network models

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 28 11:50:45 EDT 2006

For those concerned with network models.

(And very much: _only_ in parallel with the other threads currently
alive in the caucus space.)

If you have not found already, there is a burgeoning body of work on
the subject.  I happen to be familiar with one 'node' where is a
trove on the subject:

	http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/netgov/

Immediately available are a raft of recent events - various streams,
some video, some audio, also ppt, Podcasts, animations, etc, from
those events.  On the main page, that section is titled Highlights of
past events & news.  The most recent are under Upcoming Events.

It is also worth exploring the link to Cambridge Colloquium on
Complexity and Social Networks (CCCSN).  Particularly there, you will
find an 'event archive.'  This includes, from the last few years,
talks by numerous leading figures in the field.  In some cases,
papers and the like are available for download.  This can serve as
some introduction to the breadth.

For a treasure of resources on what is really the core subject -
Social Network Analysis - click the link with that name.

You may also want to go to The Trans-Atlantic Initiative on Complex
Organizations and Networks (TAICON).  Through TAICON, a regular
series of trans-Atlantic video conferences bring together work from
both sides of the Atlantic.

If you would like an introduction that is more than accessible, also
comprehensive and helpful in getting hands around where the field is
now, let me suggest to start Albert-Laszlo Barabasi's book Linked
(available among others from Amazon).  Barabasi's presentation was
one of the recent TAICON video conferences.  There are of course
other books and papers, as you see.

For practical application.

You will find that practical application is just beginning.  The blog
on the Netgov web site (to which you can subscribe - there are
subscribers from all over the world / I believe one blog entry even
graphically displays that set of 'nodes' ...) occasionally discusses
application.  So do several of the presentations.  There are of
course a number of sources of such work, often available on the site,
one way or the other.

For purposes of the caucus, it is clear just how much serious work
would be necessary to specify any sort of efficacious, operational
model.

I can report that several years of the opportunity to avail oneself
of this remarkable resource unveils an exciting new
discipline-in-the-making, albeit one rather on the upslope of its
development (though with roots back a century and more, you will see)
- and looking for able contributions from those who may!  What is
especially exciting is the fashion in which this begins to shed light
that neither market nor hierarchy have been able.  The most
interesting work seems to lie ahead.

On the list I hope we have those familiar with other such 'nodes' on
the subject of social network analysis - will be looking forward to
hear.

David