[governance] individuals

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Apr 27 19:51:25 EDT 2006

Le 27 avr. 06 à 23:57, Gurstein, Michael a écrit :

> The introduction of a "market" model where influencing policy is
> not a matter of creating coalitions and "politiking" but rather
> where policy entrepreneurs identify an idea, marshall resources
> around the idea (access grant funds for example) and then market
> the Heck out of it with the "winner" taking the "prizes" and
> everybody else licking their wounds is I think, something new on
> the international scene (and particularly for CS) but of course it
> is precisely how the game is played in the US policy (including
> both the for and not for profit lobbyist) marketplace.

Perhaps we're not talking about the same thing..
Are you referring here to what Phil Agre calls "issue
entrepreneurship" ? If so, then it's different from what "The new
spirit of capitalism" analyzes, which is the new forms of work
organization and management, and their isomorphisms with new forms of
activism.
I wouldn't call the former a "model" (I would be tempted to call it
an - unfortunately unavoidable - parasitic epiphenomenon, if only it
wasn't less and less "epi": increasing, yet not becoming a "model"
only because of that... Game of the day: identify at least three
internet governance entrepreneurs on this list:)). The latter is
indeed a model which organizational form is the network (though not
characterized only by its form of organization).

Meryem