[governance] individuals

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Apr 25 13:38:40 EDT 2006

On 25 apr 2006, at 12.19, Meryem Marzouki wrote:

> Le 25 avr. 06 à 12:17, Vittorio Bertola a écrit :
>
>> Sure, but then, in which sense a NGO that involves 10 or 1000
>> people is
>> more "representative" of those millions people than individual
>> activists?
>
> They are not "representative", but the number of people they
> represent (i.e. their members, since they cannot claim to represent
> anyone beyond their membership) may be "significant", which is quite
> different from being "representative" (i.e. of CS).

I have occasionally looked at NGO's and tried to put their
particpation into perspective.  one of the questions I keep running
into is how to distinguish between the degrees of NGO (1 person,  5,
100, 1000 people or an NGO of NGOs).  And more then distinguishing,
how does one give appropriate weight to the ideas of one vis a vis
the other.  Or are all NGOs equal?  and how do universities, or the
individuals at universities fit in?

Going a step further, if there isn't a way to discriminate between
the NGO of many and the NGO of few, then on what basis can one
exclude Individuals, each of whom could fill papers and become an NGO
(albeit easier in some countries then in others).

Or are we looking for certification criteria for NGOs in CS, the way
the ITU did in WSIS.

a.