[governance] First prepcom interventions

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Sep 19 09:29:43 EDT 2005

As you may have seen from Rik Panganiban's note to the plenary list
this morning, prepcom has so far focused on China and human rights
issues.  Great fun and important stuff.  Nice to see the US, UK (EU)
and Canada taking a bit of a stand on human rights.

As far as Internet governance is concerned we hope sub-committee A
will start work this afternoon.

One disturbing rumor (we will find out for sure later today) is that
observers will be given 15 minutes speaking time every 6 hours of
discussion.  As sub-committee A meets for 3 hours each day, it seems
we may only be able to speak every other day.  Will will argue
against this.

Other civil society organizations have kindly agreed to give the IG
caucus the full 15 minutes speaking time today. Five of us will speak:

Speakers for Civil Society
Sub-Committee A (Internet Governance)
Monday, 19 September

1. Mr. Adam Peake, from GLOCOM, on behalf of the Civil Society
Internet Governance Caucus
2. Ms. Magaly Pazello, from DAWN, on behalf of the Civil Society
Internet Governance Caucus
3. Mr. William Drake, from CPSR, on behalf of the Civil Society
Internet Governance Caucus
4. Mr. Milton Mueller, from the Georgia Institute of Technology, on
behalf of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus
5. Ms. Jeanette Hofmann, from the Heinrich Boell Foundation, on
behalf of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus

We had to prepare text for the interpreters, those files are attached.

Thanks,

Adam