[governance] IFLA Position on Internet Governance

Adam Peake (ajp@glocom.ac.jp) apeake at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:21:24 EDT 2005

Dear Danielle,

I really think you should look again at the models presented in the
WGIG report.  Model 1 offers nothing of value, even with IFLA's
sensible amendment of the direct representation of all stakeholders. A
body under the UN that dictates all Internet policy, from ICANN to
spam and cybercrime.  I find it hard to believe the IFLA would want to
give some of the world's most oppressive regimes the opportunity to
set global policy on such a swathe of issues.

Hope IFLA will reconsider its position. Model 1 presents a clear
threat to the freedoms IFLA champions.

Kind regards,

Adam

On 9/7/05, Danielle Mincio <Danielle.Mincio at bcu.unil.ch> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> You'll find here and in attachment the position of the International
> Federation of Library Associations and Institutions on the Internet
> governance.
>

> IFLA Position on Internet Governance
>
>  1.  As the international professional association concerned with
> information and library services, IFLA is concerned that Internet governance
> and management should facilitate unrestricted access to information and
> freedom of expression and should enable social and economic development and
> cultural creation by and for all the peoples of the world.
>  2.     IFLA opposes any measures which would lead to control of information
> access and free expression by commercial, governmental or sectoral
> interests.  Measures which may be necessary to ensure the reliable operation
> of the Internet, control spam, support intellectual property protection and
> enable individuals to protect their privacy must not be used to limit the
> rights expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, especially
> those in Article 19.
>  3.     IFLA supports the development of the Internet as a reliable
> multilingual system which will be available to all and will facilitate
> unrestricted access to information by all peoples in their languages of
> choice.
>  4.    In regard to the proposed approaches to the governance of the
> Internet, IFLA supports a multistakeholder approach which involves
> governments, civil society and business and therefore endorses both the
> forum and the principles for global public policy and oversight proposed in
> the WGIG report.  Consistent with these principles and the desirability of
> minimising administrative overheads, IFLA favours model 1 but with direct
> representation of all stakeholders on the proposed Global Internet Council.
> 5.      As a voice for the 2.5 billion registered library users across the
> world and an ECOSOC accredited international professional organisation, IFLA
> is available to assist with the development of effective models for Internet
> governance.
>

> You'll find other information about IFLA and WSIS on
> http://www.ifla.org/III/wsis.html and
> http://www.ifla.org/III/clm/p1/CLM-pr16082005.htm
>

> Best regards
> Danielle --
>

> Danielle Mincio
> IFLA WSIS Group
> Conservateur des manuscrits
>  Responsable PAC
>  Bibliothèque cantonale et universitaire
>  Bâtiment central
>  CH 1015 Lausanne Dorigny
>  Tél +41 21 692 47 83

Email from Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
Email from my Gmail account probably means I am travelling.  Please
reply to  <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> Thanks!