[governance] Statement made in Plenary

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Sat Oct 1 16:52:41 EDT 2005

>>> Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu.org> 10/01/05 2:38 PM >>>
>P.S. If I remember the paper well, I don't find the Chair's oversight

>proposal so threatening: it said something like "at the end of the

I find this threatening:

68.	We call for, at the conclusion of the transitional period,
examination of the establishment of an Inter-Governmental Council for
global public policy and oversight of Internet governance. Such a
Council, if and when established, should be based on the principles of
transparency and democracy with the involvement, in an advisory
capacity, of the private sector, civil society and the relevant
inter-governmental and international organisations. Such a Council could
be anchored in the UN system and deal with the following issues:
a)	Public policy development and decision-making on international
Internet-related public policy issues;
b)	Oversight relating to Internet resource management including IP
addresses, generic top-level domains and country-code top-level
domains;
c)	Global coordination of Internet governance through dialogue
between governments, the private sector, civil society and international
organisation.

We know what "involvement in an advisory capacity" means now, don't we?