[governance] Statement made in Plenary

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun Oct 2 08:40:52 EDT 2005

At 14:20 02-10-2005 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>I also remember the story of the biggest Macedonian ISP losing their
>customers' domains as the American registrar who they were using started
>refusing credit cards from Balkan countries to reduce fraud risks (in
>practice, assuming that anyone attempting to pay with a credit card from
>Balkans is likely to be a fraudster).

Actually, Vittorio, if you remember, I made an investigation in that
case, and we've found out exactly what was happening, there were
proposal for solution of the problem, but the Macedonian ISP never
responded to the dozen of messages I personally sent them.
I don't think anything would have been different, if ICANN was
working under different law.
I see here mixture of different cases, and because some of them are
not relevant to what you discuss, you're losing ground for your proper cause.
The decision of the registar is purely a business one; it's the task
of the Macedonians to find a way to work with that, and I can give
you several such solutions.

best,
veni