[governance] oversight

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Oct 28 08:52:31 EDT 2005

Vittoria.

I don't think you can agree on how to internationalize [the oversight
of] ICANN (as currently performed by the USG) without agreeing on the
inter-governmental oversight mechanism that should possibly perform it
(as the "no oversight" solution, which we all would prefer, is clearly
impossible in political terms).

Wolfgang:

Vittorio, it depends. As it was said on this liost, there is no clear definition what "oversight" means. In an earlier (not published) version of the EU draft the term "oversight" was used but disappeared in the final version which David presented in the Plenary. The EU proposal made the differentiation between "thje level of principle" and the "day to day operations" but remained vague where the borderline is.

It would be belpful if CS could make a contribution to draw such a borderline. To reduce "oversight" to the "ICANN issues" is certainly a mistake after WGIG provided a broad definition.

Best

This is why I would focus on getting a good agreement (for us!) on the
forum. That can be the key to move things forward and avoid a complete
failure.