[governance] oversight

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Oct 27 08:21:50 EDT 2005

wcurrie at apc.org wrote:

>hi
>
>It is interesting that USG spoke in favour of the Argentinian proposal at
>Prep-Com 3 when it contains reference to:
>
>The continued internationalization of ICANN and its functions;

The point is that the US has a different perception of this, and so does
ICANN (and ISOC and...), of course. For them ICANN is already in this
process and you do not need to change anything for it to develop further
("evolution"!). Arguments like the CEO is an Australian and several
others of the same sort. To say we see a "continued
internationalization" of ICANN is to agree with this US view. Do we want
this?

During Prepcom 3 it was clear ISOC, ICANN, the USG and some others
adopted the tactics to build a proposal formally headed by the
Argentinians, to counteract a tendency in the EU position and the group
of "like-minded countries". I am against subscribing to it, unless we
have decided we are no longer really adhering to para 48 of the WGIG
report. If we want to take it as a basis, there is a lot of crucial
rewriting to be done.

>So perhaps it would be worth putting something concrete down for the Tunis
>Prep-Com as to how this would work in practice over what timeline.

I think that CS might be going in the wrong direction if it takes for
granted that the US is willing to accept any non-cosmetic modification
in the current ICANN arrangement. It is clear congress and the federal
government will be united against touching ICANN and the current legal
arrangement in any way. We will be losing time here and playing into its
hands.

Unless this is what current CS de facto leadership (the most regular and
dedicated participants of the debate) wants... The view trying to
prevail seems to be now: let us do a forum, hope the UN agrees to create
a WG to build it, and hope it will have legitimacy (not to speak of
adequate pluralist representation, which we are not discussing either)
and will be heard by everyone etc etc, and leave the oversight question
to an "evolutionary" process...

I agree with the forum, of course, but I do not agree with leaving
things as they are or hoping for "evolution in the right direction"
(which one?) regarding oversight. Besides, we keep forgeting we have
dozens of other governance components CS keeps leaving aside or just
mentioning superficially, and which badly need international coordination.

frt rgds

--c.a.