[governance] Comments on chair's text

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Oct 19 07:09:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

Para 71, a) through f) is agreed, one part remains open, it's in
square brackets:

  [g) Encouraging relevant parties to commercially negotiate reduced
interconnection costs for LDCs and other countries mentioned in the
Geneva Declaration of Principles, taking into account the special
constraints of LDCs.]

This is being argued over in the ITU study group 3 looking at
interconnection issues (and d) of 71 encourages ITU to get a move
on... it's been at this issue for 7 years), but I don't know the
status of those discussions.

Anyway.  Civil Society in Geneva had a position on the issue broadly,
see attached, we've asked this group to comment on g.

Only other comment I remember us making recently on interconnection
issues was in our response to the WGIG report:

"22. With regard to international interconnection charges, the Caucus
believes that there must be international rules encouraging fair,
cost-oriented charging, considering that developing countries pay the
full cost of the circuits involved.

23. This is a matter of considerable urgency that should be
investigated in relevant international fora like the ITU, WTO and the
proposed forum."

Adam