[governance] and more Re: Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 07:17:12 EST 2005

At 10:33 AM -0800 11/9/05, Avri Doria wrote:
>correction left out an imporatnt word
>
>On 9 nov 2005, at 10.10, Avri Doria wrote:
>

>>  On 9 nov 2005, at 08.59, Adam Peake (ajp at glocom.ac.jp) wrote:
>>

>>>  52. We also agree with the US government that governments have
>>>  legitimate public policy and sovereignty concerns with respect to the
>>>  management of their ccTLD,
>>>

>>  i don't agree with this as I do beleive that the ccTLDs should be
>>  automatically acknowledged as sovereign property.
>
>...as I do not beleive ...

You're right, about this and paragraph below.

They were included really as preamble to the
suggestion that US government make a clarifying
statement, so not really important now.

But we could think about ccTLDs and associating
sovereignty with the country (and economy...), as
Jacqueline suggested, not with the government.

Historically, it has been the government and
Internet community.  The GAC issued principles
for ccTLD redelegation at the ICANN meeting in
Argentina, April this year, see
<http://www.nic.mu/docs/ccTLD_Principles_MDP_Final.pdf>
quite helpful.

Adam