[governance] The glacial pace of governments

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Nov 9 05:33:46 EST 2005

Il giorno mar, 08-11-2005 alle 04:04 -0800, Danny Younger ha scritto:
> Vittorio,
>
> The language that you have been attempting to draft
> would include governments and IGOs in ICANN's policy
> development bodies (the multi-stakeholder approach).
>
> I continue to have strong reservations about the
> inclusion of these bodies in policy deliberating
> organs owing to the glacial pace at which governments
> get things done.  Your language needs a re-write.

Please note that the text you point at, even if drafted by me, does not
represent my personal opinion. It is an attempt to build something that
can be acceptable to everyone, and was posted to the list exactly to
understand whether it captures the general sentiment or not.

Personally, I do not see governments involved at the detailed policy
making level and I would merrily rewrite the text to make that clear
(direct involvement of governments in the ICANN Board, however, is
another matter - and I remember Twomey himself suggesting this
possibility at one of the WGIG consultations).

In any case, I'm starting to think that there clearly is no kind of
consensus inside civil society about oversight and governmental
involvement. If you take the draft IG Caucus position (objected by
Parminder) and the draft Gender Caucus position (objected by
Jacqueline), they are almost impossible to reconcile. Whenever one group
in one caucus comes up with a position, it gets strong and heated
objections from the people who are in the opposite line of thought.

So I'm wondering whether we should not drop the oversight text
altogether, and recognize that we have nothing to say about oversight at
the upcoming PrepCom, since we can't even agree among ourselves.