[governance] Present draft does not consider 'real oversight options'

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Nov 7 09:55:12 EST 2005

Il giorno dom, 06-11-2005 alle 23:56 +0530, Parminder ha scritto:
> Around June this year, some friends from ICANN, also in the IG caucus,
> suggested to me to consider nomination to ALAC. Around this time I had
> began to realize that IG has important global governance implications,
> so I did toy with the idea. And I did some research about ICANN, IG
> etc. And while I appreciated all the good work ICANN does, I found the
> political positions stated by ICANN on IG, including in the context of
> discussions at WSIS, entirely un-acceptable from the point of view of
> how I looked at things. So I chose not to go ahead with nomination
> process.

Now I think I must make some clarifications...

As individual, I am perhaps the caucus member who has the most visible
position in the ICANN framework - Chairman of the ALAC - and yet, on
this list, I often find myself advocating against other people who are
more "pro status quo" than me. Though you are right that ICANN has
historically been attended by a very homogeneous and narrow subset of
the world (but it's been getting much more diverse in the last years),
you should not assume that everyone participating in the ICANN processes
has the same view, not more than everyone participating in the WSIS
processes has the same view.

In particular, be aware that the ALAC is an independent entity and that
positions from ICANN do not necessarily coincide with positions from the
ALAC (or the GAC, for what matters). It is not that, if you disagree
with what the ICANN staff and Board says, then you won't belong in the
ALAC. In fact, the ALAC itself hosts among its members and constituent
organizations a broad diversity of origin, culture and opinions,
probably broader than the average diversity among the most active
participants in this caucus.