[governance] new TLDs?

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Mon Aug 29 11:58:19 EDT 2005

Wrong interpretation. I am **indifferent** to new gTLD/sTLD proposals.
All delegations/redelegations are just business, what is the point? What
**real** difference for the Internet as a whole is the establishment of
a new business gTLD registry (or domain in the hands of an existing
registry) going to make (except for the ones who profit from it)? What
real difference was noticed on the Internet when .org was redelegated if
anyone can "rent" vixens.org or allsex.org by just producing a valid
credit card, just like in .com, .net etc? (Sorry, those two domains are
already taken...)

Also, we could do a good bottom-up intervention instead of worrying all
the time about top-down interventions from governments in the name of
"free competition" (where or how exactly??), if we managed to organize a
significant civil society caucus within ICANN trying to tackle the whole
strategy of the organization. And, frankly, it is funny to be upset
about this specific "government intervention", when the whole thing is
**legally** under a single government's intervention from the beginning
(ICANN is just an incumbent and the regulator is the US government) --
what can civil society do about it, this is a key issue.

I think the current civil society organizations within ICANN (ALAC +
NCUC) fail in this when they are mostly guided by the issues which are
determined from above by ICANN's own agenda, and not derived from a
discussion within our constituencies on what are the key governance
issues we should deal with, and what role ICANN should really play in  a
global governance system. I think civil society managed to go beyond the
"agenda from above" with its input to the WGIG process -- let us try to
deepen this within ICANN as well. Will we need to create a separate
caucus for this?

--c.a.