[governance] Emergency resolution on.xxx recall

Ewan SUTHERLAND ewan at intug.net
Thu Aug 18 15:42:03 EDT 2005

I really don't think this about recognising the existence of pornography
or about censorship. I think the problem is accepting someone else's
definition. In my European telephony example, all the countries had
reached some sort of modus vivendi for domestic services but struggled
with the cross-border issues, that is the application of foreign
definitions. [There is a market opening issue for WTO, as in the USA
versus Antigua case on Internet gambling.]

In some countries about all that is officially sanctioned comes as
fashion television and aerobics classes. In others it is allegedly a lot
more salacious with a few countries having acquired (how?) a reputation
for such material.

The technical label, in this case triple-X, is without meaning and thus
of no value outside its original cultural context. That is why it might
go away, not least if a whole bunch of countries simply block the gTLD
in its entirety.

There is the small matter of a lot of brands buying domain names in
order to prevent damage, sesame street and disney dot triple-X and the
like. Some people will money out of that.

Ewan

--
Ewan SUTHERLAND, Executive Director, INTUG
http://intug.net/ewan.html