[bestbits] Letter from 50 MEPs stresses EU will decide own laws on digital agenda

jyoti at cis-india.org jyoti at cis-india.org
Fri Sep 25 04:14:09 EDT 2015

​​​​​Dear All,

Over 50 members of the European Parliament have hit back at claims of "digital protectionism" emanating from the United States. Notably, the letter states: "We have different ideas on privacy and platforms, net neutrality and encryption, Bitcoin, zero-days, or copyright. We will seek to improve and change any proposal from the European Commission, in the interest of our citizens and of all people."

The letter sent to the US Congress is available here: http://www.marietjeschaake.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2015-09-22-MEPs-Statement-on-Digital-Protectionism.pdf

Kieren McCarthy has reported on this at the Register, article available here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/23/european_politicians_to_congress_back_off/

Jyoti Panday