[bestbits] multistakeholderism is democracy was Re: [] FW: US Is an O...

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Apr 15 10:11:56 EDT 2014

On 15-Apr-14 09:37, Mawaki Chango wrote:
> MSism is a decision-making process and I don't know where anyone could
> have possibly taken that bogus idea that MSism is the next big thing
> after democracy (just like democracy once was that next big thing after
> tyranny, aristocracy, etc.)

I am one who does argues that Multistakeholderism is not just another
decision making process.

I also do not claim in is the next big thing after democracy.  I argue
that it is a form of democracy.  Multistakeholderism includes modalities
of democratic organization as well as a variety of mechanisms.    It is
a form of participatory democracy that builds upon the varieties of
representational democracy that one finds in some countries and the
various forms of self-organization that people in society uses to
organize itself on issues of importance and brings them in the greater
democratic mix.

I do agree that there is not just one form of the multistakeholder
model, but argue that there are attributes of Multistakeholderism as
participatory democracy that are necessary.

I too have yet to finish my self-promised work on multistakeholderism.
Though I have written on this a bit.

avri