[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Dec 23 09:15:31 EST 2013

Hi,

I think that this of course makes sense as a criteria, but i caution us
against allowing a single view, a theoretically specific view, to
stand-in for the diversity that is the  Civil  Society viewpoint.  Many
time I think the reference to 'under-represented' view is synonymous
with 'the view I and a few friends have that no one else agrees with'.

I.e. when picking representatives, we need to pick people who are also
not so extreme in the singularity of their view that they cancel out the
views of others who also minority viewpoints.  Even people with minority
views need to take a big-tent view if they are to represent the
diversity of CS view adequately and need to be the sort of people who
can be expected to work with their fellow CS representatives, and not at
cross-purposes.

avri